The Negative Guest List is a Brisbane zine run by a misanthrope punk called Brendon Annesley. I think that’s him on the cover. Why not put yourself on the cover? In the pharmacy (buying extra large condoms) I took the opportunity to paint him up with a bit of gloss and blush. He looks more presentable in rouge.
All that’s nice, but Brendon can’t edit for shit. I think he knocks these out pretty quickly; this must be a few months old by now, who knows, fanzine writers rarely put dates on their work. Issue six is a subversive manifesto of punk rock self-loathing with two major highlights:
1. The page three girl is Fabulous Jarrod Diamonds who, incidentally, has been listening to Lou Reed’s Coney Island Baby for breakfast. FJD calls Melbourne trio Woollen Kits ‘pointless...a carbon copy of Beat Happening.’ A few pages later there’s an interview with Woollen Kits who answer the dreaded ‘influences’ question with: ‘It all started with Beat Happening’! Jarrod, take a bow. If I was the editor of a shit-can photostat zine and got one band to slander another band, only to have that other band actually confirm-in the same issue-said fact, what an indie haterz scoop!
2. The best words here are from DX (drummer, writer, Stained Circles label honcho). It’s a random list of stuff ticking 'round inside his brain, from football to new social media. I actually read it twice - a surprisingly humble rant from a guy I find really inspiring.
- Interview With Glenn
- Negative Guest List
- Rush To Relax
- Teenage Kicks
- Oh My God, Shut Up, Are You Serious?!
- Don't Spook The Horse
- Stupid Legs Kills Hunam
- Coburg = Trash
- Procedures For Parenthood
- Give Me Back My Name
- Soft Bomb: A Background Affair
- Zoo Music Girl
- This afternoon I found myself half way between the...
- The UV Race. Malaria / MASH / Good Money ...
- Gil Scott-Heron. I'm New Here
- Sonny and the Sunsets. Strange Love / Death Cream ...
- Two Of The Best
- Lane-way AK
- ▼ February (19)